Set The World On Fire
You are viewing the most recent 25 entries.
31st July 2009
23rd March 2009
Things to do when i get home. in no particular order
Guitar / Singing
16th March 2009
I finally arrived in Thailand last night. :
Sort of wondering why I didnt come here in the first place. Why did I go to Vietnam again? anyone?
The weather is beautiful. There are boucoup white men. the food is incredible. the roads are mostly sane. people are friendly. did i mention the weather is beautiful. I'm 6km from world class beaches... Man oh man... *twang of regret*
6th March 2009
12th February 2009
11th February 2009
If I wake up several mornings in a row and hate what I am about to do with my day, I will make a change. Life is too short. :
3rd February 2009
I am thankful for Ete for making the WORLDS BEST MOJITOs.. yeah i've had a couple
1st February 2009
Gratitude Project... day.. 4
31st January 2009
I think I forgot to post yesterday! Oops.
29th January 2009
The habit of gratitude...
I read somewhere that your life will be better if you express more gratitude.. :
I am going to take on the challenge to post 5 things i am thankful for every day, with a picture or 5 too...
So here goes!
1. I am thankful for Tet, because I have a full week to myself.
2. I am thankful that I am in Vietnam, experiencing living in a (very) foreign country.
3. I am thankful to my friend Ngoc for inviting me for lunch today at her house, I was able to see a true vietnamese living situation (very small...)
4. I am thankful to my mum for being so wonderful :)
5. I am thankful that I have my laptop so I can listen to punkrock all the time teeheee
11th January 2009
What does your drawing say about YOU?
The results of your analysis say:
9th January 2009
8th January 2009
Omg.. whats the name of that australian emo band.. :
Its haunting me taunting me. I remember seeing them play at that gig... January before last.. wow.. 2 years ago.. time really flies.
I’m painfully homesick. :
At the moment, I miss everything.
I went on facebook and found that my ex boyfriend –from almost 7 years ago – has a girlfriend.. she looks like a younger, slimmer version of me. Complete with band t-shirt and long sleeves, cute hat. The works. It makes me ouch.
I spoke to a friend yesterday who told me how jealous he is of me, for being here.
I don’t understand it, but I do.
Vietnam is really no different to any other country, but at the same time, everything is different.
I have no rules. No laws to worry about. My main concerns are getting to work in one piece, when I do work.
Yes, I’m in an exotic location, but life goes on. Its really just the same old merry go round. I’m doing my best to break the mold.
I have decided that my next move will be to the USA, then on to South American. But, this changes daily....
7th January 2009
i'm deliberating over this stupid assignment, that is only worth 20% of my grade. :
who cares about globalisation anyways? certainly not me. maybe i should. it seems kinda pertinent.
I should be outside, enjoying vietnam.
Been here 2.5 months now. Am making more money online which is sweet. working 2 part time jobs which is okay. mostly feeling terribly lazy..
i have a motorbike. that is cool. but.. everyone does.
i still dont speak any more vietnamese. should probably work on that.. but i'm having an anti social phase.
my first.. 6 weeks here were a blur of parties and drinking. I just want to hang out and watch movies now :P god thats bad. I'm in a seriously exciting city and i'm studying the most boring topic on earth.
gotta quit the moaning. do the stupid essay (tonight - due friday). who cares. just gotta pass. not like i'm going to use this degree for much anyways. why on earth did i pick this? stupid terrorists making me study them.
despite not drinking i woke up today with a horrible hangover. i think i ate something funky last night. maybe just too much coffee.
i've taken up meditating, playing guitar daily, and i'm thinking of going vegetarian (again). Vietnam is changing me.. its the lack of influence from others... there is no one here who's opinion matters to me. not one. no. no one.
Did i mention i have a full time maid? that is made of awesome. oh yes. she makes my bed, irons my clothes.. *wonderful* will have to talk her into making vegetarian meals. a totally rise against influenced demi-vegetarian. I will eat fish and eggs and lets be real i'm not going to be a vegetable nazi.
but i digress.
globalisation, and why the liberals have it wrong.
30th December 2008
I'm back to confused. :
I'm in Vietnam, living in a huge, modern house with all the conveniences. I have a bike, a chauffeur (taxi paid by the school) and I earn more than most of the population.
But i feel like i stepped out of the comfortable australian rat race into the (by comparison) very uncomfortable vietnamese rat race.
I have a mortgage to pay, a degree to do, and a life to be had, and i'm finding it hard to balance the 3.
What did you do in 2008 that you’d never done before?
1. What did you do in 2008 that you’d never done before? Worked in logistics, moved overseas, studied by correspondence.
2. Did you keep your new years’ resolutions, and will you make more for next year? Did i make any? i can't recall... I made goals and achieved them. Wanted to lose weight, did, then i put it back on :(
5. What countries did you visit? Vietnam
7. What date from 2008 will remain etched upon your memory, and why? Xmas eve - that massive party in Hanoi that was just... completely out of control. Valentines Day because i broke up with mark the week before.. Ummmm Thats all
9. What was your biggest failure? Not having spent more time in IM, not making anywhere NEAR enough money. Not sticking to playing more music....
10. Did you suffer illness or injury? Nah, dont think so...
12. Whose behavior merited celebration?
13. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed? Old mate, for being a faux friend. Mark for being a knob end.
14. Where did most of your money go? mortgage, bills.
15. What did you get really, really, really excited about? Fuck all really. re-enlisting was up there, but was moved aside by coming to Vietnam. Right now i'm excited about journalism..
iii. richer or poorer? about the same.
28. What did you want and get? Travel
29. What did you want and not get? Love, my degree.
30. What were your favorite films of this year? Twilight, Bond, The golden compass
32. What one thing would have made your year immeasurablty more satisfying? A proper relationship, being in a band... *sigh*
33. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2008? Slob scene adult
35. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most? Bond.
36. What political issue stirred you the most? Elections in USA & Australia
37. Who did you miss? Tashii....
38. Who was the best new person you met? Basically everyone i have met in Vietnam, Jane back home too
40. Quote a song lyric that sums up your year: i'm standing on a roof top ready to fall.
23rd November 2008
Its bed time on a sunday night in Hanoi, and i'm feeling inspired. :
I've been trawling the four hour work week and thirty day challenge sites.
Thinking about dreamlining and all that stuff. Realised that i am actually living my dream already... just unfortunately next month i start work again.
Must spend more time fixing up the websites to encourage the cash flow. thinking of that magic 200/day. which i'm not far from, probably just need better copy. hmmm
I've applied for a house on the edge of the city, in a quiet, non-western neighbourhood. I can't wait to move into a house, have a couch and television and all that good stuff that hotel rooms dont have.
I ride a motorbike now. And i know this city reasonably... i get by without a map... mostly
I can order food and drinks and say hello 5 different ways.
At this stage i will be in Hanoi for 6 months to a year.. maybe i'll cap it to 6 months, and then going to Morocco or Tunisia. I'll finish my degree in the next 12 hopefully *yay* so that i can get a decent pay grade over there.
Wow. I am living in Vietnam. I have a motorbike. I am getting educated. I am a teacher and... I'm living that dream. Its so surreal.
But, as much as I love Vietnam... at this stage, its not where i'm going to plant myself. I want to be somewhere that i feel like i wil 100% learn the language. So yeah, Tunisia, Argentina even. We'll see.
29th October 2008
Finally getting my bags sorted. The packing caper is taking ages. Still have to go to the city today and see Chrissie, get my insurance sorted (finally) and buy a few more items. My bag is pushing the 20kg mark. But.. i figure.. I'm gonna be there a while, right? :
11pm Tonight i'm on my way to vietnam!!!